Wicked Edge is a small, family-owned company who appreciates the beauty and efficiency of well-kept tools. They pride themselves on helping fellow craftsmen achieve the sharpest knife they’ve ever seen with our high-quality knife sharpeners and accessories.
Brought to you by a panicked cook who pulled frozen peppers out of the freezer to thaw and realized once thawed, that they could not be used for stuffed peppers as planned (FYI: you can totally freeze peppers but plan to use them for soups or other mushier things) – this recipe came out of desperation and ended up being so easy and delicious it’s worth a share!
- 3-5 peppers (your choice, I used a mix of yellow, green, and poblano)
- 1 lb. ground venison
- 1 jar of pasta sauce
- ½ bag of shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or more, if you like cheese)
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- Seasoning to taste (salt, pepper, garlic, onion)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees prior to starting, as this recipe comes together quickly. Set aside a greased 8×4 or 9×5 loaf pan.
- Chop peppers into strips and saute over medium heat in a skillet. Add garlic and seasonings and toss to slightly brown the edges of the peppers – remove from heat.
- In a separate pan, cook ground venison – season with salt and pepper.
- Once the venison is fully cooked through, add pasta sauce and stir – remove from heat.
- Like you’re building a lasagna dish, pour half of the meat mix into the pre-greased loaf pan. Layer half of the peppers, then cover with cheese.
- Repeat meat, peppers, cheese (I added a little extra cheese to the top).
- Bake uncovered for 20-30 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes then serve.
Feel free to substitute venison for other ground meats (moose, elk, boar, etc.). Add more peppers if you’re a pepper lover, or enjoy as a chili by adding additional sauce to your meat mixture. We grabbed a bag of Scoops chips for our dish for another idea to try. Enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links. Miss Pursuit may earn a small commission for our endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website. Your purchase helps support our work in bringing you real information about hunting and the outdoors.